July 15, 2013

Monday Made It- Apple Silhouette

It's always a pleasure to link up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics! My apple silhouette is inexpensive and SUPER easy to make. I originally got the idea from an adorable baby decor picture on Pinterest (click for source). 
What you will need:
Scrapbooking paper (patterned & plain color)
Picture frame
Scissors
Pen/Marker

I found this frame at Home Goods for $6! It was the perfect size for this project… I plan to put this on a shelf I have hanging in my room above the sink area.
Take out the glass and trace it over the white paper. This makes it easy to make the perfect size background for your silhouette! At first I thought white would be perfect… but later decided on yellow.
Choose a patterned scrapbooking page that will you think will be cute to use! Cut it out in whatever shape you want… I chose an apple! Some other ideas I thought may look good include a pencil, book, animal, and hand. I got this shape from an image on Google… you can do the same thing! Print out any Google image, trace it, and cut out your silhouette. 
Doodle around the silhouette to help it POP! I tried a permanent marker (too thick), a Sharpie pen (still too thick), and a regular black pen (JUST RIGHT) to add the details! Dashes, dots, and squiggles all seem like the perfect way to make the cut-out uniquely you! Don't glue down your silhouette until you are done outlining and personalizing… just in case you make a mistake. I found this out the hard way.
I added my name and year to personalize it a bit!
We LIVE and LEARN… I liked the final product in person, but thought that the white on white was too bland! I didn't really think too much about it until I put it all together. My suggestion would be to choose a dark pattern for a white background OR choose a bright background for a light pattern.
Problem… SOLVED! A little bit of color goes a long way. (:
The yellow really makes the apple pop out! I love my new decor for my classroom! Can't wait to put this apple silhouette on the shelf!!!

11 comments:

  1. This is just too cute! Great job. I love a six dollar find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love this idea!
    Karen Rowland
    Adventures With Firsties

    karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute framed apple art...I can't believe the frame was only $6.

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I like your name and date added to it...it gives it something a little more :)
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Love this idea and the paper you used!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out so cute! I think the personal touches made it more special, I don't know if I would have thought about doing that.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Britney. I love your blog and your creativity so I've nominated you for a Liebster Award - it's for bloggers with less than 200 followers. Please go to my blog to get all the info.
    http://www.pinkwatermelons.blogspot/com
    Congratulations,
    Susan K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also nominated your super adorable blog for the Liebster Award!! Check out my blog post for more info! So glad to be one of your followers! :)

    Lindsey
    Mrs. Johnson's Little Prowlers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok- I didn't see a Liebster button so I nominated you, but just saw it in a previous post! Sorry! Must just mean you have a super adorable blog that everyone wants to nominate! :)

    Lindsey
    Mrs. Johnson's Little Prowlers

    ReplyDelete

Don't have G+? Please leave your email for a tailored reply!